Our Westie Adoption Program
Our Westie Rescue Adoption Program has been designed to ensure that our rescued Westie’s next home is his or her “furever” home. If you are a Georgia resident and would like to submit an application for adoption, we only place Westies with residents who meet our program’s requirements. If you live outside of Georgia, please go to Petfinder or The West Highland White Terrier Club of America to find a Westie Rescue in your area.
Westie Adoption Program Requirements
- Westies are turned into our program for a wide variety of reasons. Whatever information we have, including vet records, will be shared with the adopter.
- We do not provide information on Westies that we currently have in our program. This is because the Westies are likely to be adopted by the time the application process is completed.
- Rescued Westies are placed in the best home for the dog, not on a “first come, first served” basis.
- Westies will not be placed in homes where there are children under the age of 7 under any circumstances. Westies were bred to rid structures of vermin and the high-pitched voices and rapid movements of young children can excite this instinct.
- A home visit is a required part of our application process. Although we are located in metro-Atlanta, we will do our best to schedule home visits for Georgia residents. Westie rescue home visit volunteers will come to your home to explain our program and answer any questions you may have.
- There is an adoption fee that reimburses the Westie Club of the South, Inc. for the average cost of each rescued Westie for vet bills, food, housing, etc. It is not for the sale of any rescued Westie.
- Westies will be placed in homes where there is a reasonable expectation that the dog can live out his or her natural life.
- We will not place a rescued Westie as a gift.
- We reserve the right to suspend adoptions during the Christmas season. The busy holiday season is not the time to bring a new Westie home.
The Westie Adoption Process
If you have determined that a Westie is the right breed for you and you meet and agree to the program’s requirements, please download the Westie Adoption Application, print it, and complete. Once you are done, sign the application, scan it, and email to email@example.com. Alternatively, you can mail the adoption application to:
682 Willow Ridge Drive NE
Marietta Georgia 30068
When we receive your application, we will contact you about a home visit to meet with you at your home. Assuming all goes well, your application will be placed on an active status, and we will contact you when we have a Westie in foster care that we feel fits your circumstances. The adoption process will be explained in greater detail at your home visit.
We will do our best to process your application in a timely manner. Please keep in mind that we are an all-volunteer organization, so we ask for your patience and understanding as other priorities may sometimes take precedence.
If you have any questions regarding adoption, please contact us. Thank you for considering the adoption of a rescued westie.