If you are a Georgia resident and you have made the difficult decision to surrender your Westie, we will take your West Highland White Terrier and place the dog in a new home. You can feel confident knowing that your Westie will be adopted into a loving family that we pre-screen for you.
Westie Surrender Requirements
- Our program places West Highland White Terriers exclusively. We are unable to take a dog that is not a purebred Westie. We reserve the right to refuse a dog that, in our opinion, is not a purebred Westie, into our rescue program.
- We are unable to take any Westie that has bitten someone, or exhibits aggressive behavior including the attempt to bite, into our Westie Rescue Program. If you are in this situation, please have your Westie evaluated by your veterinarian to see if there is a physical cause for the change in behavior. Also, you may want to consult a dog trainer that specializes in aggressive dogs. Many times, medical treatment, specialized training and strategies for dealing with your Westie’s aggressive behavior can make a difference.
- We encourage you to donate your Westie’s food, flea treatment, heart worm preventative, and crate and toys. These items will be given to the new adoptive family for their use. If the items can’t be used by the adoptive family, we will keep the items for future use in our rescue program.
- It is important to understand that once your Westie is surrendered, you will forfeit all rights to the dog. Information on the placement of the dog will not be given to you and no contact with the adopters will be permitted.
- Whenever possible, the Westie will be surrendered directly to our Westie Rescue Veterinarian in Marietta, Georgia.
- Download this surrender form and answer as many questions as completely as you can.
- Once you have completed the surrender form, send us a message about your surrender using the form on this page.
- Once we receive your email message, we will contact you about the surrender. Be sure to have the completed surrender form with you when you are contacted by the rescue coordinator to help answer questions about your dog and the surrender circumstances. The rescue coordinator will answer any questions you may have and advise you of next steps.
- Please obtain vet records for your Westie. We prefer to have a complete set, or at least the past 12 months, if available,
- The completed and signed surrender form must accompany your Westie when he/she enters our rescue program. Vet records should be attached to the form whenever possible.
- When your Westie is surrendered to the Westie Club of the South, your dog will be examined by our veterinarian. The Westie will then be placed in a foster home. All foster caregivers are members of the Westie Club of the South. The Westie will remain in foster care until his/her placement in a loving, pre-screened home.
- You can make an optional donation for the care of your Westie while in foster care to help the foster family with dog expenses. Any money not spent before the Westie is adopted will remain in our rescue fund and will be used exclusively for the care of other rescued Westies. A donation for the care of your Westie while in foster care is strictly optional but is greatly appreciated.
Send Us a Message About Your Surrender
Please fill out this form after you have downloaded and completed the surrender form. Once we receive this form, we will contact you to discuss the surrender and advise you of the next steps.